Massaged Kale-Avocado Summer Salad
It’s been my experience that most people squirm at the mention of kale, as did I before I knew the best ways of preparing it. The magic is in the massaging! This breaks down the fibrous texture that can make kale bitter and so tough to eat.
This nutrient dense salad has some different flavors that give it a bit of kick. Starring healthy fats like avocado and olives, along with plant-based protein like pine nuts, your body (and taste buds) will thank you for trying. It’s super simple and can be customized with your favorite nuts/seeds, fruits, and veggies, and is great with chickpeas or a little chicken for additional protein. There’s a reason this scrumptious salad makes it into my weekly rotation. It’s quick, lasts several days in the fridge, nutrient dense, and is just downright delicious!
Massaged Kale-Avocado Summer Salad: (Serves 4 side or 2 large)
· 2 heads Lacinato kale, destemmed and chopped*
· 2 avocados, pitted*
· ¼ cup avocado oil
· Juice of 2 lemons
· 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
· 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
· 1 tsp Himalayan salt, more if needed
· ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
· 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
· ½-1 cup pine nuts*
· ¼ cup fresh parmesan, shredded*
1) Place chopped kale, avocado, olive oil and lemon juice in a large bowl.
2) With clean hands, begin massaging everything together, really mashing and combining all ingredients with your hands. Massage for 5-10 minutes or when the kale has become noticeably softer.
3) Add salt, chili flakes and cilantro. Mix with hands and take a little taste to see if this needs more salt. This salad will need more salt than you think. If you’re worried about sodium, please know that Himalayan salt in a wonderful variety that is packed with minerals and is actually very healthy for our bodies.
4) At this point, you can add olives, tomatoes, pine nuts and parmesan.
5) Plate and enjoy!
-2 bunches kale is about 10 cups or 10 oz of Kale
-Rule of thumb is about 1 avocado per bunch of kale
-Can substitute olive oil for avocado oil
-If you have a nut allergy, hemp seeds are fantastic
-If you are sensitive to or don’t do dairy, you can use a goat gouda, nutritional yeast or a vegan “parmesan” substitute