My Version of the "Impossible" (Veggie) Burger
I am not going to lie, I LOVE A GOOD BURGER! I love them all; chicken, turkey, beef, veggie, you name it, I love it. Something about them just feels so hearty and satisfying. What I don't love is the ingredients I've found in many of the store bought versions that include things like wheat gluten and other long named ingredients that I can't pronounce. While I have found a few "clean" versions they generally taste like sawdust. I have made it my mission to come up with a delicious, flavorful, freezable and protein packed veggie burger that this busy mama can make in bulk and pull out whenever the craving hits! These burgers are pretty flexible, so feel free to add in anything you think might sound good, things like brown rice, beans, more veggies, etc... Don't forget to pile high with lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, and a special sauce! I hope you enjoy these ans much as I do and would love to know how you end up sprucing up yours!
16 oz slice mushrooms, sliced
16 oz tempeh, chopped
1 cup steamed, roasted or fresh beets, chopped
1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional (adds heat)
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic powder***
1 teaspoon onion powder***
1/2 teaspoon smoked chipotle or smoked paprika powder***
1 Tablespoon of oil for cooking, if desired
Special Spicy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Ketchup
1/2-1 Tablespoon Siracha
Smoked Chipotle Powder, to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 Degrees and line a baking tray with parchament paper.
2. Sauté the mushrooms in oil, until tender and browned.
3. Coarsely chop the tempeh into 1/2 inch cubes
4. Add all ingredients to large bowl food processor and process until mostly chopped, and incorporated, and the mix resembles "hamburger."
5. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop each burger onto your lined tray (scoop to your liking, depending on how large you want your burgers), and use your hands to shape into patties.
6. Bake patties in the oven for 20 minutes. Then pull burgers out and carefully flip them over, putting them back in the oven to cook for 10 more minutes.
7. Combine all your Special Spicy Sauce Ingredients
8. Add your favorite condiments, Special Spicy Sauce and a bun, lettuce wrap or crumble over a salad. Enjoy!
You can substitute fresh chopped sauteed garlic and onion for powders
If you are not a spicy fan, feel free to substitute in Braggs Liquid Aminos, Coconut Aminos, Teriyaki Sauce, etc... and leave out the chili flakes