Vegan Weeknight Masala
Happy Saturday Friends! It has been SO nice to bundle up with the drop in temperature the last couple weeks. I've noticed that my body really craves warm, cozy nourishing soups and stews over my usual giant dinnertime salads. This week I have developed a quick nutrient dense chickpea masala recipe for you. The great thing about this dish is that it can be easily made with pantry staples you already have on hand, You can absolutely swap out the spinach with any other greens or veggies you have, or leave out all together. The cherry on top, is that it's family (kid) friendly and even better the next day packed in lunches when flavors have had even more time to absorb. Feel free to double or triple the recipe below to accommodate the family size in your home. Enjoy!
Weeknight Masala (Serves 2)
· 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
· 2 cups chickpeas
· 1/2 cup onion, chopped
· 2 clove garlic, minced
· 4 cups spinach
· 1/2 tsp chili flakes
· 1/2 tsp garam masala
· 1/2 tsp cumin
· 1/2 tsp coriander
· ½ tsp turmeric
· 2 tsp coconut nectar or honey
· Himalayan salt and pepper, to taste
· ¼ cilantro (optional, for garnish)
1) Heat a sauté skillet to medium and then add a splash of water and the onion, cook a couple minutes until onion becomes translucent. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
2) Next, add chickpeas and coconut nectar (or honey) and cook for about one minute. Then add crushed tomatoes.
3) Now add all the spices that are left, stirring everything together. Place a lid on the pan and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
4) Lastly, add spinach, just until wilted.
5) Serve with a sprinkle of cilantro and a side of cauli-rice, brown rice, quinoa or enjoy on its own!