Orange-Infused Superfood Porridge
Good Morning Friends! As we near one of the largest food consumption days of the year, I thought I would offer a wholesome meal for you and your sweet families, something lite and grounding to keep your body's balanced during this busy time of year. Today I have a recipe loaded with superfoods that will leave you feeling nourished, warm and energized from the inside out. I have used a buckwheat base instead of traditional oats to help vary your nutrient profile and introduce you to a delicious new gluten-free grain.
Buckwheat likely sounds scary if you're on the gluten-free diet. But despite its name, buckwheat is not wheat. It's a seed rather than a grain, which means it's gluten-free and safe for people with celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Whether or not you are on a gluten-free diet, adding in gluten free meals to your diet will reduce inflammation, assist in clearing up brain fog and can help in healing gut issues.
I hope you enjoy this cozy bowl of goodness and wish a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and friends!
Superfood Porridge (Serves 1)
· 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
· 1/3 cup water
· 1 Tbsp chia seeds
· 1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
· ½ tsp cinnamon
· ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
· Pinch of Pink Himalayan salt
· 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
· Zest and juice of 1 orange
· ½-1 Tbsp honey (substitute agave, maple syrup or stevia for vegan option)
· ½ tsp vanilla
· 1 tsp maca
· 1 Tbsp almond butter
· Raspberries, persimmons, banana, shaved coconut (optional)
1) Bring water and nutmilk to a low simmer, then add ingredients listed from chia seeds to orange. Lower heat stir continuously until ingredients are absorbed and oats are cooked through, usually 3-5 minutes.
2) Once cooked, remove from heat and add honey, vanilla, maca and additional nutmilk if desired.
3) Pour into a bowl and top with your favorite fruit and a good-sized dollop of almond butter.